TOPIC: SUN STAND STILL
TEXT: JOSHUA 10:1-15
AIM: To teach the children that God answers prayers and fight battles for His children.
INTRODUCTION: If there is a fight contest in which five boys are to fight against one boy what do you think will happen? Ask the children this question and Listen to them as they give various answers to the question.
The sun stood still during a battle to help the nation of Israel to completely defeat the armies of the five Amorite kings.
PROGRESSION OF EVENTS
- Adonizedec king of Jerusalem heard that the cities of Ai and Jericho even their kings were taken and destroyed by Joshua. Also that the men of Gibeon made peace with Israel.
- The king was afraid because Gibeon was a great city with mighty men
- The king conspired with the other four kings in the land of Amorites to fight a war against Gibeon
- The men of Gibeon sent for Joshua in Gilgal to come and help them.
- God assured Joshua that He would be with him in defending the Gibeonite.
- God fought for the Israelites, He threw the five kings’ armies into confusion.
- While the armies fled, God threw down hailstones from heaven and they died.
- God killed more men with hailstones than the Israelites killed with their swords.
- Joshua and the Israelites were still in battle but time was running out.
- Joshua prayed to God in the presence of the children of Israel ‘’Sun stand still over Gibeon’’
- God made it happen, the sun stood still for almost a full day.
- The Israelites won the battle and returned to their camp.
- God answers prayers. Nothing is too hard for our God; do not be afraid to ask God to do something big. God can do great work in you and through you, only trust Him to guide you.
- Do not join others to do evil, keep godly friends, and do not be equally yoked with unbelievers.
Joshua was a representation of Christ, leading the Israelites to victory as Jesus leads us to victory in overcoming the world.
Joshua’s name means ‘’Yahweh is salvation” (God saves). God helped Joshua lead the people of Israel and saved them from their enemies. Jesus’ name also means ‘’God saves’’ God helped us by sending His son, Jesus to fight the battle against sin and death. Jesus died on the cross to save us. If we give our lives to Jesus and trust in Him, we will live and reign with Him in heaven.
MEMORY VERSE: Joshua 10:12
- How many kings planned to fight against the people of God?
- What surprising weapon did God send to help?
- What did Joshua do during the battle?
- How did God make enough time to finish the battle?