By Ayotola AREMU
Children, you must have been doing your school work and Sunday school online for some time now. This means, your teachers would have been sending either videos, written work, or other forms of learning content, to you. You may have been responding to them, by doing your assignments and sending it back by taking a photograph of your work and uploading it. This is online learning.
Online learning is the use of electronic means or technologies to learn about the Bible, learn school subjects, or any other things of interest. The technologies include your phone, tablet, iPad, or laptop.
At times, since it is either through the phone or a tablet/iPad or the laptop, it may seem you are not doing much of real learning or doing hard work like when you are in school face to face with your teachers. However, this is because, you are just getting adjusted to learning online.
Learning online has many advantages and also limitations. We would talk about that another time. But for now, how can you gain maximally from the online platforms? This is the question, we would provide answers to.
So what are the things you could do to ensure that you are really learning and what you learn is retained?
- Always have a particular time fixed every day to do your online learning. For example, if it is 10 am to 12noon every day, be consistent with this every day. It helps to get your brain and body system ready for work because they know, it’s time to work
- Have a set location, where you can sit anytime you want to learn, but not too comfortable so you dont doze off
- Get your books, bible, workbook, jotter, exercise book, and writing materials ready. You need to be actively involved in writing all the things you are learning into your notebook or jotter so that your mind would not go astray.
- It is good if you have earphones or a headset, so distractions around the house would not affect you so much.
- Learn to pause, if you need to write something down and also to go back/ rewind if you did not get a particular thing that the teacher said. Dont assume, if you are not clear, go back and check.
- After every 10 – 15 minutes, stand up and stretch your legs and your hands. Bend sideways to both sides, bend forwards and backward, also blink your eyelids for some seconds especially if you are working with a laptop. All these keep your blood circulating thereby keeping you active.
- Do your assignments promptly and submit them on time. This helps you to practice what you have learned.
And remember that you are using up data and that costs money, so don’t be wasteful and spend more than enough time doing some other unnecessary things online. There is a purpose you are there, be focused on the purpose, finish on time, and move on to other things.
Finally, always commit your learning to God before you start and thank Him when you finish. He has promised to give His children that ask wisdom.James 1:5.
In addition, show gratitude to your parents or guardians who are providing you with these facilities.